NEWS STORIES |
Canada’s Path to Global Green Hydrogen Economy: The Impact of IGH2A Hub Canada
Canada’s Path to Global Green Hydrogen Economy
Canada has been actively working towards becoming a global leader in the production, use, and export of clean hydrogen. With the Hydrogen Strategy for Canada1, the country aims to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050 and create as many as 350,000 jobs2. Here is some ways Canada can ensure its frontrunner position in the global green hydrogen economy:
- Expanding Exports
Canada has the potential to become a major exporter of green hydrogen, given its abundant renewable energy resources and proximity to key markets. The country can leverage its existing trade relationships and partnerships to expand its exports of clean hydrogen and associated technologies1.
- Investing in Infrastructure
To support the growth of the green hydrogen industry, Canada needs to invest in infrastructure such as pipelines, storage facilities, and refueling stations. The government can provide incentives and funding to encourage private sector investment in these areas3.
- Promoting Innovation
Canada has a strong track record of innovation in the energy sector, and the green hydrogen industry is no exception. The government can support research and development in areas such as hydrogen production, storage, and transportation to drive innovation and reduce costs4.
- Creating Tailor-Made Support
To kick-start the scaling up of green hydrogen projects, the government can provide tailor-made support to selected, shovel-ready flagship projects. This can help stimulate demand and prompt investment in these areas5.
- Establishing Policies
National, regional, and city governments can guide future expectations by establishing a role for hydrogen in long-term energy strategies. Companies should also have clear signals from governments to invest in hydrogen technologies4.
Low-carbon fuel standards or renewable transport obligations can facilitate the uptake of low-emission hydrogen in refineries5.
Canada has many natural advantages in terms of building a hydrogen economy, and the country is well-positioned to become a global leader in the green hydrogen industry. By expanding exports, investing in infrastructure, promoting innovation, creating tailor-made support, and establishing policies, Canada can ensure its frontrunner position in the global green hydrogen economy.
The Impact of IGH2A Hub Canada
In relation to this matter, the IGH2A Hub located in Canada signifies a pivotal moment and a promising opportunity. It is undertaking various measures to guarantee transparency and foster open communication with stakeholders as it progresses in developing and expanding the green hydrogen economy nationwide. These measures encompass:
- Community engagement: The IGH2A Hub in Canada is engaging with local communities to understand their needs and concerns regarding green hydrogen production and storage. This will help to establish trust and build long-term relationships with stakeholders.
- Transparent communication: The hub is committed to transparent, two-way communication with stakeholders to ensure that they are informed about the hub’s activities and have the opportunity to provide feedback.
- Long-term value: The hub is focused on generating long-term value for communities by promoting sustainable and equitable development of green hydrogen production and storage infrastructure.
- Stakeholder positioning: The hub is engaging stakeholders today to position themselves and the sector at large for success over the long term. This includes working with policymakers, investors, and other stakeholders to create a supportive policy environment for green hydrogen.
- Holistic thinking: The hub is thinking holistically about how green hydrogen production and storage can benefit local communities and the environment. This includes considering the social, economic, and environmental impacts of green hydrogen production and storage.
- Natural Resources Canada. (2020). The Hydrogen Strategy. https://natural-resources.canada.ca/climate-change-adapting-impacts-and-reducing-emissions/canadas-green-future/the-hydrogen-strategy/23080
- Natural Resources Canada. (n.d.). Hydrogen Strategy for Canada. https://natural-resources.canada.ca/sites/nrcan/files/environment/hydrogen/NRCan_Hydrogen-Strategy-Canada-na-en-v3.pdf
- Financial Times. (2021). Hydrogen: the key to Canada’s energy transition. https://canada-next-best-place-to-home.ft.com/hydrogen-the-key-to-canadas-energy-transition
- CNBC. (2021). Canada is set to have one of the world’s biggest green hydrogen plants. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/19/canada-is-set-to-have-one-the-worlds-biggest-green-hydrogen-plants.html
- International Energy Agency. (2023). The Future of Hydrogen – Analysis. https://www.iea.org/reports/the-future-of-hydrogen